U.S. Military 2010 "Joint Operating Environment" Report warning of national security effects of peak oil and climate change
2011 Farmer's Market Guide
Community Resilience Toolkit
Skilling up for Transition
This year, Transition OKC celebrates five years of catalyzing resilience, sustainability and health in Oklahoma City. Since 2009, we have organized, collaborated or sponsored over 100 workshops, events, and presentations, including:
- Film screenings
- Local food networking events
- Local food chef's challenge
- Moving Planet: an event for a Top 10 State in health and sustainability
- Permablitzes and gardening workshops
- Oklahoma's first full-length Permaculture Design CourseWe organized an advocacy campaign for the urban agriculture ordinance that passed the Oklahoma City Council on December 31, 2013.
We participated in events like 5210 and Better Block OKC by offering educational and inspirational giveways and installations.
We inaugurated the first Community Catalyst award, presented to outgoing Oklahoma City Planning Director Russell Claus.
We are a founding member of the Urban Agriculture Coalition, an informal coalition dedicated to helping urban farms and gardens thrive in Oklahoma City.
Thank you so much to our 501(c)3 partner and sponsor, Green Connections, as well as the many individuals and organizations that have collaborated with us and supported our work!
The OKC Urban Agricultural Ordinance is endorsed by:
Wondering what the future will look like - with an uncertain economic climate, volatile fossil fuel prices, and a deep dependence on oil that is getting more difficult and expensive?
Transition OKC believes that we can work together to become less dependent on imports of food and oil while building communities less vulnerable to downturns in the economy. Working together, we can build a strong local economy that keeps money local and re-circulating around our city. Working together, we can reconnect our neighborhoods, communities and families to help each other through good times and bad.
What does Transition OKC do?
Transition OKC is a catalyst for Oklahoma City's transition to local resilience: strong, healthy, vibrant communities, sustainable local systems (food, energy, water, transportation), and resilient local economies.
- Organizes projects to help people and communities become more resilient.
- Hosts networking events to connect people interested in local food, resilient economies and sustainable systems.
- Organizes and sponsors film screenings and other events to raise awareness about energy, economic and environmental issues.
- Offers workshops and trainings to learn skills such as gardening, solar cooking, permaculture, and rainwater harvesting.
- Supports "going local" through Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and our local resources guide, and by involving and promoting local vendors.
- Promotes the activities of the many great organizations in the Oklahoma City area that are building community, resilience, and sustainability.